Friday, October 12, 2012

Doctor appointments and first mammogram

Well, it's been a crazy week for Dan and I. I saw Dr. Kaplan last week. Just love him. Everything seemed to be fine. He examined me and ask me how things are going with my arimidex. No crazy lumps or anything yeah! I seem to be handling the arimidex fine. I maybe experiencing some minor fatigue, but not even sure of that. There is a list of symptoms one might experience and I don't seem to be experiencing them.

Then I had my mammogram this last Tuesday and my world was rocked...again!! The radiologist told me he wanted a couple more views. So they take me back and take a few more shots of my left breast. He brought me back into his office (you can imagine the crap that is racing through my mind) he told me that everything was okay, but he wanted to see me again in six months to check some small calcium spots he sees. I am like, you are freaking me out. He says I don't want to freak you out we just need to check things in 6 months. I then leave there office and walk straight over to my appointment with Dr. Buchanan. I bawled the whole way over to her office. I am like really? How can this be? I wanted a double mastectomy and they didn't want to take them both. This is one of the many things that was racing through my mind. I am thinking that i will get over to Dr. Buchanan and she will reassure me that it is okay and we will just continue to move forward. I have my reconstruction surgery scheduled, so I am thinking I can't go ahead with reconstruction if there might be something in my left breast. So I walk in to see Dr. Buchanan, she has already received my scans and report. I could tell by the look on her face that it wasn't good. Now I am crying and totally freaking out. She suggested that we do a "stereotactic needle core biopsy" right a way. They scheduled it for the next day at 3:00pm. She said that 80% of these come back benign so there was a great chance this would be nothing. I left her office and started my trek back to Harborview to go to work. I called Dan and of coarse he is pissed and scared and wondering what the heck. I got to my clinic and walked straight into my bosses office shut the door and started hysterically crying. My boss was crying with me. It was horrible. Thanks Jo for the hugs, love and support. Dr. Kaplan called me and told me his toes were crossed and he just wanted me to know he was thinking about me and hoping for the best. His call was great, but it also kind of scared me because it made me realize shit this could come back bad. As you can imagine that night, the next day, the procedure...it was all awful. Poor Dan. Poor me. Poor Nancy. Thank you Nancy for coming and picking me up from the procedure and bringing me home. I didn't even tell Nancy what was going on, I just ask her if she could pick me up from a procedure that I needed to have. So she was freaking out too.  After the biopsy the doctor told me it looked like all of the tissue and the calcium deposit looked benign. That made us all feel better, but you don't really know until you get the true biopsy report. So Dan and I had another night of wonderment, fear, worry, ugh!!
They didn't think I would get the results until today, but I got the best call ever from Dr. Buchanan last night just after five. She called and said all the tissue was benign and that everything is A OK!!
Praise the Lord and hallelujah!!! We are so happy and relieved.  

I have my reconstruction surgery scheduled for the first week of January. I will have about 6 weeks of recovery after that. Then I will have implants place in late spring. Kimmy's rack will be back :)

Lets just stay on this schedule with no more scares PLEASE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment